What is mindfulness?
“Mindfulness is the psychological process of bringing one's attention to experiences occurring in the present moment, which can be developed through the practice of meditation and other training.” Jon Kabat-Zinn, Founder of MBSR (Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction).
M – Moment to moment attention
Time is never wasted if you learn from it and pay attention to it.
I – in the here and now
N – non-judgemental attitude
D – detach from unhelpful thoughts
F – forgive and be grateful
Refrain from spending too much time in the past, regretting what you did or didn't do.
U – unconditional acceptance
L – learn like a child
How can mindfulness help you?
- Start your day with some basic stretching or yoga and connect with your body listening to its tensions and stress. Help relieve these by starting your day as you mean to go on. Get ready for the day ahead.
- Take a break in the day to focus on your breathing. We should breathe about 12-20 times per minute (in through the nose, into the stomach and out through the mouth).
- Focus and surround yourself with the people that make you feel good.
- When you look, ie really see, take everything in and appreciate every moment.
- When you think, don’t overthink - focus on how you are feeling.
- When you eat and drink, really taste it. Appreciate it.
- When you relax, clear your mind and include body-scan meditation.
- When you sleep, focus on your dreams.
- Turn your passion into your job. It’s easier than finding a job that matches your passion. After all we spend most of our time at work.
Upcoming meditation sessions
Maz has a background in Tai Chi and Qui Gong and practices meditation. He has also recently completed his Personal Trainer Award through YMCAfit.
Please arrive on time so as not to disturb the session.
Free for members.