Swimathon is the world’s biggest annual fundraising swim. It has been running for over thirty years and - since it started - has raised more than £48 million for many different charities. Here's how you can take part this year using the YMCA Club's pool...
The 2020 Swimathon is taking place from Friday 27th to Sunday 29th March.
Please note that our pool will be closed to people not taking part as follows:
Friday 27th March from 6.30pm to 9.30pm and Saturday 28th March from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Duncan Goodhew, Swimathon President and Olympic gold-medallist, says:
“It has been a real joy to see Swimathon develop and mature into the great event it is today. Swimathon really was ahead of its time giving people a chance to get active and do some good at the same time. I am so proud of both Swimathon’s longevity and its legacy.”
Choose your distance
Whether you are doing it as part of a team or going solo, there's a range of distances to choose from. Pick the one that will be right for you:
- Individual 400m
- Individual 1.5k (60 lengths in our pool) – this is a great challenge for novice swimmers or those that prefer to push their speed on shorter distances.
- Individual 2.5k (100 lengths in our pool) – the perfect challenge for the intermediate swimmer who trains regularly and wants to push their boundaries.
- Individual 5k (200 lengths in our pool) – this is the ultimate Swimathon challenge. To complete the 5k distance in one session takes dedication, commitment and a good training programme.
- Triple 5K – when you complete a 5k challenge in the same venue across three different sessions.
- Team 1.5k – 60 lengths of a 25m pool in a relay with friends, family or colleagues. Split it as you like – shorter distances for the novices or longer for the kids.
- Team 5k – This is for teams of 2 to 5 swimmers. Split it evenly between members or break it down according to abilities and get everyone involved.
Whatever the distance, you'll be helping to raise money for cancer charities, Marie Curie and Cancer Research. To date, we've raised over £1,800.
Using SWIMTAG along the way will be a great way to track how well you are doing. SWIMTAG is free to members of the YMCA Club. It is a system that logs your swims in our pool and shows how far, how fast and how efficiently you swam. We will set competitions which you can do in your own time, that cover all distances set in Swimathon. At the end of each month leading up to the competition we will set 1.5k, 2.5k as well as 5k-distance challenges that you can join online. These will give you the chance to test how long it takes to cover your target distance.
How to take part
Anyone can take part! Swimathon is open to both members and non-members. Under 16s are especially welcome.
Participants can take part at the YMCA Club by registering on the Swimathon website
Depending on your challenge, it costs between £10.50 and £28 to register.
Any questions, please email YMCA Club Pool Supervisor, Julian.Meldrum@ymca.co.uk
**PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE NO MORE PLACES LEFT FOR SWIMATHON AT THE YMCA CLUB POOL ON FRIDAY 27TH MARCH**