A fast and easy dish containing essential macro nutrients in sufficient quantities to kick-start the post-workout repair process, with a good selection of micro nutrients to maximise this and taste buds too - and as for focaccia, I know it's a fast carb but it's exactly what your body needs after exercise and it tastes great!
Protein: Moderate to High
Carb: Moderate to High
400g free range or organic skinless chicken breast
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp agave syrup
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
8 chestnut mushrooms
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
100g rocket or watercress
rosemary focaccia loaf
- Flatten the chicken breast by hitting it with a rolling pin between sheets of cling film.
- Mix the chilli, garlic and agave and brush all over the chicken.
- Peel and slice the avocado and toss in lemon juice, then slice the mushrooms.
- Slice the chicken into strips; heat the oil and fry chicken, stirring until thoroughly cooked.
- Slice the focaccia horizontally and pile with alternating layers of salad, chicken, mushrooms and avocado - and feel free to add additional items that appeal - I love to add tomato and onion too; or make it a little more indulgent with some bacon!
- Serve any remaining salad mixed with the pumpkin on the side.
- Chicken: a great source of protein and B vitamins.
- Avocado: a source of good fats, which additionally help with the absorption of fat, soluble vitamins - and a good source of potassium and folic acid.
- Garlic: a great source of anti-oxidants, particularly in a response to an intense workout that will have generated free radicals - or, on occasions, poor city air quality.
- Pumpkin seeds: will add zinc, iron and the amino acid tryptophan.
- Watercress: great for many things including iron and calcium.
- And the focaccia: great for pure tasty energy to kick-start repair, those tastebuds, and get us on the way to feeling satiated.
Do you want to receive more articles like this directly in your inbox? Sign up to our Newsletter.